South African Car of the Year 2021 winners announced
The South African Guild of Mobility Journalists (SAGMJ) has unveiled the list of the 2021 South African Car of the Year award winners. The competition celebrates and rewards automotive excellence in the country.
Other accolades that SAGMJ instituted at its annual general meeting on June 26, 2021 were the Most Admired OEM, which went to Stellantis, and the Lifetime PR Achiever’s Award, which went to Lindsay Pieterse of BMW. While these two awards are not officially part of the COTY competition, they are equally prestigious.
The winners of the South African Car of the Year category are:
- Budget Category: Toyota Starlet
- Compact category: Hyundai Venue
- Compact Family Category: Peugeot 2008 SUV
- Family category: Audi A4
- Premium category: BMW 4 Series
- Adventure Category: Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Double Cab category: Toyota Hilux Double Cab
- Performance category: Porsche 911 Turbo S
- New energy class: Porsche Taycan
- The choice of motor enthusiasts: Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- Jury Excellence Award: Peugeot 2008 SUV
The Peugeot 2008.
The Toyota Hilux Double Cab took second, while the BMW 4 Series took third.
In view of the lockdown, the winner of the South African Car of the Year 2021 was announced in a virtual awards ceremony which was broadcast live on September 27, 2021.